8 rue Pierre Bonnard

27200 VERNON

The Watermill, with a vertical wheel, was powered by the flow of the river. In 1204, when Normandy became part of the Crown Lands of France, Vernon lost its military role. Philip II Augustus granted one of his supporters the right to build a watermill on the bridge. In the 18th century, there were six wheat mills in operation. In October 1849, the construction of a dam downstream in Notre-Dame-de-l’Isle was completed and led the four remaining watermills to stop working, leaving the millers "unemployed".

From 01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022
  • Ouvert

Nearby